Saturday, December 18, 2010

Product Review: Van Dessel Full Tilt Boogie

I chose the Full Tilt Boogie as a race specific CX bike. It has some things that I really like and I'll highlight those first.

1. The FTB has a huge fork. It's massive and holds up incredibly well to hard braking and cornering with no brake chatter.
2. The low bottom bracket makes it corner more like a road bike in a crit. It's low enough, though, that after riding my Redline I sometimes scrape the FTB's pedals.
3. While the front end is super rigid, the rear has just enough flex to keep the rider from skittering around corners and comfortable for an hour.
4. The bike accelerates super fast, which is really important in a cross bike.
5. The bike is designed for durability and has a lot of extra carbon in it to make it stronger. The bike isn't the lightest but I'd take it over a more fragile bike any day.

The only things I wish the bike had are bottle mounts, so I could do some longer rides on it in the summer.
Another characteristic of the bike is that it has a steep seat tube angle so I have to run a 15mm setback Thomson seatpost with the saddle slammed all the way back to get the proper dimensions for my build.
The bike in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment